Friday, February 01, 2008

Tomato/Caper Topped Fish

Num num num. I saw this recipe on Barefoot Contessa a few weeks ago, and it looked fantastic. The sauce (not really a sauce... a relish? a compote? dunno.) is nice and briny and I think goes very well with a nice, firm white fish, although she used swordfish. I just grilled the fish with a little salt/pepper and topped it with the sauce. Here's the recipe:

1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
1 cup chopped fennel (1 bulb)
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
28 ounces canned plum tomatoes, drained
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chicken stock
2 tablespoons good dry white wine
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

For the sauce, cook the onions and fennel in the oil in a large saute pan on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the drained tomatoes, smashing them in the pan with a fork, plus the salt and pepper. Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Add the chicken stock and white wine and simmer for 10 more minutes to reduce the liquid. Add the basil, capers, and butter and cook for 1 minute more.

It's really easy and very delicious. We served it with salad and steamed broccoli, although I think that it would be really good with a little pasta as well.

I didn't take a picture this time, I was too busy trying to get Will to stop feeding Jenny. I swear, I've never seen that dog refuse food!

No comments: