Thursday, February 07, 2008

To Be or Not To Be....

Oh, one dilemma leads to another... this one is not so hard to figure out. I'm quitting my job to be a stay at home mama. They don't know this yet, but they will by tomorrow. Not only has my satisfaction with my job been dwindling in the last few months (quite rapidly, I might add) but for a while now I've been really feeling like I'm missing out. From 7:00am-6:00pm, I am either sitting in traffic (oh, the beauty of working in glamourous downtown Austin) or I'm at work wishing that I was elsewhere. I have about 45 minutes in the morning with Will and about an hour at night with him. On the weekends, we're so busy cooking, cleaning and running errands that we don't have time to just sit down and be a family.

And how can I sit at a desk all listening to adults twice my age screw up something as simple as checking an itty bitty checkbox a few times a week, then turn around and blame every single person but themselves. Repeatedly. With a complete disregard for other people's feelings, contracts that they've signed, etc., Every single day I have to listen to them tell me that our software is the stupid one. Sure.... totally not a user error. Not saying "Oh, woe is me", it's been my decision to stay for the past 3.5 years, but it's just time to go. I think that we'll still bring him to daycare once a week so that he can play with his friends and Mama can attempt to keep her what is left of her sanity. And have margarita lunches with girlfriends...

Plus, how can I sit there, day after day when I could be taking pictures like this? Even with pink eye he cracks me up!

I'm really hoping that once I leave, I'll be much less frustrated, stressed and exhausted. Well, I'm sure that I'll still be all of those things, but for much different reasons! The kid can run now, you know!

Speaking of the kid, we went to visit my parents this past weekend. We were going to do the whole Mardi Gras thing, but my Mom couldn't get off of work so we went to McAllen instead. It would have really hurt her feelings if we went without her, and there's always next year! We had four whole days of hide and seek, BBQ Shrimp and po boys. YUM.

While we were at my parents' house, Will's eyes started gunking up like he blew his nose in his eyes. Gross. Turns out, he was invited to the pink eye party. And he has an ear infection. Awesome! So he's currently on Augmentin since he just had an ear infection (his first) over Christmas where we got to give him the tasty pink bubble gum flavored Amoxicillin that he adored. Beautiful thing is, Augmentin not only tastes disgusting, but it's famous for tearing up little tummies. Um yeah, when they say that it can cause "stomach aches and a little diarrhea", it turns out that they lied. A lot. What it really means is that searing hot lava shit sprays out of your kid's ass. It's shart city at our house and his room smells faintly like a zoo. We've been trying to battle it by force feeding him yogurt and probiotics, then spackling his little tush with the Butt Paste, so we'll see how it goes. We still have 7 days to go! The good thing is, daycare gets to deal with it during the day! WOOHOO!

Don't think that the irony of the last sentence was lost on me. My days are numbered, I'll have to be a real Mom soon! It's all about Costco, playground and Jenny the dog!

3 comments:

blog author said...

OMG, Shart City! i almost spit out my oatmeal at that one...which would probably have resembled what's coming out of poor little Will's ass... poor guy! he's got it all around.

congrats on deciding to quit. i could tell you weren't happy and it wasn't getting any better. good luck telling the bosses!

i think it's a GREAT reason to go out and celebrate with margaritas!!

Femme au Foyer said...

Girl, you are making the right decision. It is SO worth it! Staying home to take care of the house and Husband has decreased my stress level exponentially. You have an even greater reason which is that precious little boy of yours (OMG the pictures you posted are SO CUTE!). Back when I was married in '98 and commuting 2 hours to work (each way), I could never imagine trying to do it with kids. My weekends were filled with errands, just like yours are now. No. Good. Now that I am home, I ge everything done in the week (which is a breeze since everyone else is working) and the weekends are for play. Husband loves it because his laundry is magically cleaned, folded and put away, there's dinner on the table every night and his once grumpy wife is always happy to see him. The errands are all done by the time he gets home, so he's got a LOT of free time now. The dogs have flourished as well because they are getting more attention and exercise.
Speaking of exercise, the first two weeks I went crazy getting the house in order, but once that was done I found that I have a lot of spare time in the day. If I don't get out of the house I feel lonely, so I go to the Hike & Bike trail or the Veloway every single day to exercise.
I think you are so smart for quitting and your husband is a great guy for understanding and supporting you. You're going to have so much fun watching your little guy grow up.
Oh, and of course I'm there for you on the days you need some adult conversation (and margaritas, ha ha!).
Wow--I feel like I wrote a blog entry but on your blog!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on SOON joining the SAHM club. Then I can't wait to read your blogs after you are dryuing to speak to other adults no matter how stupid they are!! :) It has officially been 28 hours since I have spoken more than 5 words to someone over age 2 and I want to shoot myself.